Skip to content

Who is responsible if you have an accident in a public space?

If you would like to find out how to claim injury compensation after a slip, trip or fall in a public place, call 0800 633 5730 and speak to a solicitor at Imperium Law.

In general any premises that allows access and use by the public can be deemed as a public space.

Responsibility for an injury suffered while in a public place very much depends on the kind of space where you were injured.

If for example you were hurt after falling down a pothole in the road you may be entitled to compensation from your local authority. If you had an accident in a shop and your injury was caused by negligence then a claim can be made against the owner.

At Imperium Law we are No Win-No Fee solicitors – you only pay us if we win you a payout.

What is Public Liability?

To find out if you are entitled to public liability compensation to speak to a solicitor on 0800 633 5730 and ask them to review your claim.

If an injury occurs because of an accident in a public place, which is caused by for example a local authority’s negligence and failure to correctly maintain a footpath, it is known as Public Liability.

All premises owners are required to have Public Liability insurance and it against this your claim is made.

Common types of accident in a public place:

  • Slipping on untreated ice or snow.
  • Tripping on uneven footpaths.
  • Falling in pot holes.
  • Tipping over tree roots.
  • Falling down poorly maintained steps.
  • Slipping on spillages in shops.
  • Hit by objects falling from a height.

Falling after slipping or tripping can cause significant injuries such as breaks or fractures to the head, spine, arms, legs or wrists. Fractures are common but falls have led to paralysis and in extreme cases death.

If you have been injured in a public space and it was not your fault call 0800 633 5730 for legal advice.

Making a Local Authority Public Liability claim.

Local Authorities are by law required to maintain all roads and pavements and have a duty of care to the public.

When making a claim it is necessary to prove that they were negligent in their duty by allowing a public space to fall into disrepair.

The claims procedures may vary from Local Authority to Local Authority, however you should:

  • take photographic evidence.
  • take down the details of any witness who saw the accident.
  • seek immediate legal advice.

The amount of compensation which could be awarded will depend on the seriousness of your injury.

A medical examination will be necessary to ascertain the extent of your injuries, a report will then be produced which forms a vital part of your claim evidence.

If because of your injury you have to had to take time off work and have lost income or need ongoing medical care this could increase your payout.

As claims can be complex it is vital to choose a solicitor with the right expertise and a proven track record winning Public Liability compensation payouts.

At Imperium Law we have a team of solicitors who are dedicated to winning the maximum compensation award possible. We work on a ‘No Win-No Fee’ basis which means you will only pay our costs if we win you a payout.

Call us free on 0800 633 5730 to find out if you are entitled to claim and how much of a payout you could receive.

Request a call back

If you’d like to speak to someone in our team about a claim, please fill out the form below.

Please enable JavaScript in your browser to complete this form.

This data will only be used by Imperium Law for processing your query and for no other purpose.

If you have suffered from a slip, trip or fall, call 0800 633 5730 for claims advice.

Alternatively fill in our contact form and we will call you back.

Recent Success