Tripping in a Public Place
Tripping over may sound trivial, but even a minor fall can result in broken bones. If you have tripped in a public place and were injured, you may be entitled to claim compensation if there was negligence involved.
If you would like to find out if you can make a claim call one of our injury solicitors on 0800 633 5730.
Tripping on a public walkway
The Highways Act 1980 states local authorities are required to keep roads and walkways safe.
Pavements should be checked regularly to ensure that they are kept safe and free from obstructions. All defects such as uneven paving stones which could cause an injury should be repaired.
While at present there is no strict legal definition of a dangerous pavement, the legal cases so far lost or won have led to a wide acceptance of a paving stone protruding more than 2.5cm (an inch) being considered ‘dangerous’.
If you are unsure whether or not you have a valid claim we can offer you advice and a free review of your case.
You can call one of our injury team on 0800 633 5730, or alternatively you can fill in our call back form and someone will be in touch at a time that suits you.
Successful compensation claims
In order to claim compensation it will be necessary to show that the local authority concerned failed to repair the defect.
To prove your claim the following steps will need to be followed:
- Evidence – you will need to record the defect as quickly and as accurately as possible by taking photos and measurements.
- Take down the details of any witnesses who saw what happened, their evidence can be called on at a later date.
- Make an official complaint to the local authority to establish a record of the incident.
- Seek medical advice for your injury, this acts as a record of your injury to maximise your chances of claims success.
- Use the freedom of information act to request details of how often the road is inspected and repaired. If it can be shown the authority failed to regularly inspect the road or pavement, or were aware of the defect it will be easier to establish negligence.
Why choose us to represent you?
- We can help you compile the evidence needed to win your claim.
- We are here to guide you through every step of the claims process.
- We have years of experience and expertise in this area of law.
- We have a successful track record winning injury compensation payouts.
- We are ‘No Win-No Fee’ solicitors – you only pay our costs if we win you compensation.
To find out if you can make a claim for compensation call for ‘No Win-No Fee’ legal advice on 0800 633 5730.